My first task of the week was re-adjusting the main menu. Wiktoria finished a detailed model of the Ocrait this week. I then changed to main menu, to incorporate the new model into the UI. I additionally made it bob and rotate, to add some life to it. To achieve this effect the canvas render mode was changed to screen space – Camera (instead of overlay). By doing this, we can place objects in front of the canvas (relative to the camera). In addition to adding the Ocrait, the buttons were also slightly altered. All the textures, were replaced by sprites, using slightly updated buttons.
Another task bestowed upon me this week, was to try and get the new characters animations ready. Most of the animations are operational, but the character is not yet game ready, as some animations still need to be finalized. Zaen is mostly complete, but his crouch animation still needs tweaking. The enemy animations are also ready, but still need to be implemented, which will likely be done during the next week.
In addition to working on the main menu, I also made minor adjustments to the pause menu. The hexagonal buttons were previously unusable, but can now be selected, clicked and used. I also swapped remade all the textures into sprites. At first this might seem simple, but I had to re scale each element separately, so that it’s dimensions were a multiple of 4, to allow compression. Doing this decreased the size each texture used drastically.
Lastly this week, I updated a couple of the new UI elements. The interact pop-ups have been revamped with help from Wiktoria. Our previous pop-ups no longer matched the style used for the rest of the UI, thus this was an important, yet minor update. Now when the player cannot teleport (because the beacon was placed too far away), a pop-up will appear, alerting the player that the beacon is out of range.